Friday, December 25, 2009

Taboo - at least for me.

The subject of exercise and weight is often sensitive for many people.  I have found that being 4'11" and small has made it more difficult for me to discuss with other people.  Even at my highest pregnancy weight I was several dozen pounds lighter than many.  I've made a few comments about weight in my life and I've always been met with sarcastic remarks and sneers.  And I don't blame people. I really don't. But I find it hard to set goals when I can never disclose them with anyone.  No disclosure means no accountability. 

But this is my blog and I need to be accountable somehow.  I still want to be sensitive, so I'll talk about my goals in percentages instead of actual pounds.

So ... I have a goal in mind, lose 8%.  It's not so much about the weight, but about the following reasons:
1.  Being healthy and a being a good example to my kids of how to be healthy.
2. Osteoporosis and lung diseases run in my family.  Regular exercise prevents these and other problems.
3. Exercise helps me manage my chronic anxiety easier without as much medication.
4. Exercise helps rehabilitate my knee.  I had my second knee surgery Feb 2009 - and it still doesn't straighten properly and hurts when I go down the stairs.  Consistent exercise relieves this.

I have the equipment here at home and the know how.  All I need is some accountability - which I hope to attain through this blog.

So here's my first entry: 
Distance  = 2.5 miles
Calories = 325
Time = 50 minutes
Best interval = 90 sec walk/30 sec run for 10 minutes - then my knee hurt (this is the limiting factor)
Difficulty = easy

7 day goal= establish a habit by repeating on Sat, Mon, Tues, Thurs.

Monday the 28th
Distance= 2.5 miles
Calories = 327
Time = 50 minutes
Best interval = 90 sec walk/30 sec run for 20 minutes
Difficulty = easy
walk at 3.2 and run at 4.2

28th - 2nd goal = establish a habit by repeating on Tues, Thurs, Fri
4th - 9th goal= walk 60 sec/run 60 sec for 10 minutes


Tuesday the 29th
Distance= 2.5 miles
Calories = 313
Time = 50 minutes
Best interval = 60 sec walk/60 sec run for 10 minutes then 90 walk/30 run for 20 minutes
Difficulty = medium start then easy finish
walk at 3.2 and run at 4.0

28th - 2nd goal = establish a habit by repeating on Thurs, Fri
4th - 9th goal= walk 60 sec/run 60 sec for 10 minutes then 90 walk/30 run for 20

Wednesday the 30th
Scheduled day off ... good thing because my hips are sore! 

Friday the 1st:  Happy New Year!
Distance= 2.24 miles
Calories = 300
Time = 50 minutes
Best interval = 90 walk/30 run for 30 minutes
Difficulty = easy
walk at 3.2 and run at 4.0

28th - 2nd goal = establish a habit by repeating all week, run one mile outside on Saturday
4th - 9th goal= walk 60 sec/run 60 sec for 15 minutes then 90 walk/30 run for 15 Mon, Wed, Fri with 2 miles walk/run on Saturday.


No comments:

Post a Comment