Friday, March 11, 2011

I have found myself a hobby.

You may not realize this, but I grew up with very few hobbies.  Mostly I studied, because I honestly enjoyed it, but also because I thought that's what you did ... study.

Recently, however, I've been told by a team of doctors that I need to find a hobby.  Something that is relaxing, something I truly enjoy, something I can lose myself in for a little while.

I've actively been searching for a hobby for about a year now.  I guess scrubbing the kitchen floor doesn't count as a hobby and when I told my brother Jared that I spent a lot of time envisioning paint colors in my house, he told me (and I quote) "find a new hobby".

Which brings me to today.  I went outside to sit on my front porch bench and noticed a winter's worth of dirt and newspapers and rocks collected on the porch.  I did what every American does, I got the hose out, and I washed my concrete.

And it was relaxing.

And I truly enjoyed it.

And I lost myself in it for a little while.

As so I now have myself a hobby ... hosing down the concrete, with culinary water, wasting who knows how many gallons, in the futile attempt to keep my concrete clean.  I wonder if it's dirty already?  Or since it's now an official hobby, can I just go wash it even if it's still wet from 15 minutes ago?

No comments:

Post a Comment