Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I could get used to this.

Lance's office is paying for all the employees and their "significant others" to go to lunch and a movie today. I am here in Lance's cubicle an hour early to enjoy the calm and quiet.

I have to admit I aspire to a cubicle job. A small confined space, though to most people is limiting and constrictive, to me feels safe and secure. His cubicle boasts relative quiet. Anyone who needs him comes and talks politely and quietly instead of in a high pitched whiny "MOM!"
Now Lance's cubicle isn't as well organized as mine would be. His computers aren't centered on the desks, his papers not neatly stacked, and I can see plastic utensils hiding in the corners from lunches past (he says he saves a set so he doesn't have to use all their plastic silverware - ok, I understand that). His cubicle also isn't as colorful as mine would be. These placid gray walls would be great as a background for some Mondrian paintings.

I'm realizing being here is educational. Even though I'm using my iPod, I can hear him talking to his computer saying, "oh, come on" and "why won't you work?" I guess it's not the vacation I imagine it is to come to a calm and quiet cubicle each day. Still ... I could get used to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment