Sunday, June 28, 2009

Just a little church mouse.

Last Sunday the Primary President approached me as I was setting up for singing time. She informs me there is a small mouse somewhere in the Primary room. She then asks if I see it, will I scream? I assure her that even though I have lots of experience in seeing mice run, I will indeed, scream. I will try very hard not too, but it's a pretty sure bet I will.

During the next two hours of Primary, I try to imagine seeing the mouse and not screaming in front of a room of children who will likely echo my scream. I envision myself calm and collected, politely ignoring our church mouse while I teach the reverent songs of the gospel. Like an athlete mentally preparing for a chance-of-a-lifetime event, I replay the scenario in my mind including the ending I desire ... no scream.

Well, needless to say, all of Primary came and went without any sign of our mouse. I was proud I didn't have to chase away the Spirit with an involuntary high pitched sound, even if it wasn't because I held it in, but only because I hadn't had a chance to see if I could.

As I cleaned up from singing time, I quickly forgot about the little mouse as the ever more important goal of "getting home" manifested itself. As I packed up my stuff, I spotted an easel the library was missing lying in the corner by the piano. Since I was headed to the library anyways and am always looking for a reason to cross something off of a list, I decided I'd turn in the missing easel and proudly cross it off the "Missing from the Library" list posted on the wall.

I asked Susanna to grab the easel, and as she did, wouldn't you know it, but a small church mouse had been hiding under it.

"AAAHHHHHHHH!!!"

All of my mental effort went to waste as I screamed. I also jumped back about 3 feet, doing the "shudder dance" was I went. At least all the kids had gone. Later I was told someone was able to shoo the mouse out the door to the parking lot.

Actually, I was told someone was able to shoo/kick the mouse out the door to the parking lot, and that, likely, a leg was broken and, likely, the mouse died as a result.

1 comment:

  1. So funny! glad they were able to get the mouse out. I think mice are cute... if they are outside. Indoors they are too yucky.

    ReplyDelete