Friday, October 9, 2009

Line upon line and drop upon drop

I've always been a "glass half empty" kinda person. Those who know me may not agree with that because I keep that part well hidden. But it's always there. At the end of the day I just was never satisfied with the results.

I do blame 10 years of rampant generalized anxiety disorder and the perfectionism it's produced for this attitude. That's just an excuse of course, maybe a valid excuse, but still an excuse and I've tried to change but with little success.

But one experience has changed me.

With Susanna's baptism coming up, she and I went shopping for a white dress. We found a perfect one after just a few stores and right within our budget. She was happy and I was happy. But on the way home, she began to ask about shoes. Now I hadn't even considered the shoes ... I was only concerned with the dress on this day.

As she continued to cry and worry and complain, I launched into a speech about being happy with what you've accomplished. How getting everything done at once wasn't important. About being a "glass half full" kinda person...

.... oh .... wait ... I'm not that kind of person ... should I be lecturing my small daughter? .... oh ... "sniff" ... what a hypocrite I am.

As I saw the glass from the other half (the full half) I had a life changing epiphany. I was finally understanding something I'd never been able to grasp. Now I do understand. As a result, I've been much happier with the results of each day, no matter how small the results have been.

The Lord has promised us "line upon line" but in this case I'm considering them drops in my half full glass. And I'm so grateful for this latest drop.

1 comment: