I am NOT an April Fool's kind of gal. Pranks just aren't part of my nature as they seem to be for my brother Wade and spouse Katie. But that's ok ... I accept that fact and strive to embrace my true self even if it is a tad on the boring side. The motto "like who you are" comes to mind and I've grown to like myself even knowing I'm not a prankster.
In fact, every April Fool's Day I give my kids the same small lecture, that I don't like pranks and won't be pranking them and if they do want to prank me, that's fine, but it needs to be a small, harmless prank. (the kids told me a story of a 6 year old who threw a box down the stairs and then pretended to have fallen and broken his leg --- that's too much for my taste).
The earliest joke I recall was when I was in kindergarten or 1st grade. I came home from school and my younger brothers led me into my room where they had played an April Fool's joke by spreading peanut butter all over my pillowcase. Perhaps if their "joke" had been funnier I'd have a better sense of humor today. Ha ha!
Well Susanna came home from school April 1st and told me of word search she had done at school in less than 5 minutes. She wanted to see if I was smart enough to also complete it in under 5 minutes. The kids watched as I went through the rows quickly trying to find the words.
After a couple of minutes I declared that I couldn't find any of the words and I guess it was too hard for me. Susanna began laughing and told me it was an April Fool's joke her teacher had played on the class. The word search really didn't contain any words and she had pranked all the little second graders. Then she told the kids, "Go home and do it to your parents!"
So I got April Fool's pranked by Susanna, which she found to be hilariously funny. I appreciated her joke not involving serious physical injury, peanut butter, or any other kind of severe emotional reaction from me.
Ha ha ha ha ha hah ha haha!
ReplyDeleteI still laugh at the peanut butter on the pillow case joke we played on you! 30 years later and it is still funny!
Love ya, sis!
Wynn