Saturday, April 17, 2010

Shuffling

The latest doctor I went to see wanted more blood tests done, but didn't have a lab in office.  They suggested I go across the street to the Alta View Hospital and find the lab there.  Now, a symptom of whatever is afflicting me right now is that my walking deteriorates into a lurching shuffle after only 2 dozen steps.  So by the time I left the doctor, parked in the hospital lot,  and walked my way to the lab, I was really slow and halting.  In fact, as I approached the hospital doors I heard a person catching up behind me.  As the person came into my side view, I realized it was an elderly, hunched-over, shuffling man that was passing me up as if I was going 25 on the freeway.  (I giggled at the time, it seemed really amusing to me)

The scripture of Mosiah 4:27 has always meant a lot to me.  It's about not running faster than you are able, but being diligent instead.  Being a driven, list-making, list-crossing-off perfectionist has found me often trying to do too much too fast and this scripture speaks to me.  I thought again of it as I was being lapped by someone twice my age but found comfort in knowing speed wasn't the most important value being measured at that exact moment.

So here's an ode to diligence ... a small tribute for when we don't feel we are getting where we want to be fast enough but at least we're trying and that counts.

2 comments:

  1. Inspiring words as always, Jena! Keep up the good fight and let us in the Relief Society know what we can do to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was great for me to read, I needed something like this today... sounds like you are finding what can be positive and I admire that.

    ReplyDelete