Monday, May 10, 2010

Specialist #2: Neurology

While I was with doctor #2 complaining that I could no longer walk, he insisted I see a neurologist.  Most of the doctors have now decided I need a rheumatologist (who I see in two days) but the neurologist appointment was scheduled and I didn't see any reason to cancel.  I didn't have many expectations as I've never seen a neurologist before and I'm not exactly sure how the appointment went.  Here are some highlights from the visit:

The doctor did seem a little put out that I was on prednisone and it would skew all my test results at the appointment.  She seemed interested in just exactly how debilitated I had been before prednisone as I told her how much improved it made me.  Does knowing the exact detailed degree make a difference? 

She discounted the idea of dermatomyositis.  It was a working theory of ours but she said my rash did not match this particular disease.  She also mentioned an auto-immune disease would not have responded to a low dose of prednisone.  I am pretty convinced by this last argument, so I have some doubt as if it may be auto-immune or not.  Good thing specialist #3: Rheumatology is only two days away.  He's the one that may actually have answers.

She did order more tests.  While at the lab, the guy drawing my blood asked me why some of the tests were ordered.  I told him I was on my 4th doctor and my 5th blood draw in 6 weeks and I was just nodding my head by now.  It's funny how every doctor asks me why the previous doctors hadn't already ordered certain tests.  Each doctor feels the previous one missed some obvious tests that are really important.  The blood guy laughed along with me as if that was truly a mystery for the ages.   

So I got more tests, our only working theory shot down, and no good answers ... yet.  Tune in next time to see what Specialist #3: Rheumatology says ... Da da dum! *mysterious music here* 

1 comment:

  1. That sounds really frustrating. I'm sorry you're going through all of this and not getting answers... My dad had an autoimmune disease and prednisone helped him, although I don't know what the dosage was. Good luck, I hope you find some answers soon!

    ReplyDelete