Thursday, June 10, 2010

Down to the wire: we almost have an answer.

Ok, another update on my fascinating (imagine some eye rolling right here) rheumatological condition.  Apparently, I'm a rare specimen now.

 I finally had my muscle biopsy.  Lance and I arrived at same day surgery at the early hour of 6:00 a.m.  I was worried how a biopsy is done because I didn't want to feel a long needle that would only "pinch a little" jabbed into my arm.  Luckily, I was asleep the entire procedure.  They pull out a piece of muscle just smaller than a Tootsie-Roll, so it's a good thing I wasn't awake.

Now we are waiting for the results to come back.  The contestants for my condition are... drum roll please:
#1) dermatomyositis 
#2) mixed connective tissue disease

 Regardless of which name wins this competition, the treatment is the same.  I'll be on high doses of prednisone for a couple of months until the symptoms are in remission.  At which point they will slowly taper me off until I am at a level that will maintain me.

So after 6 doctors, a dozen unusual procedures, and enough blood taken to feed a vampire colony ... we almost have an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment