Alexander is now in 6th grade. His conversations mainly center around video games, computer games, and kittens. I add my polite "uh huh" and "no, really?" whenever I can, but often I'm not even sure I'm communicating in any real way with my ever growing son.
He volunteered to join an algebra group at school. It's an extra class, during recess no less, where kids start learning algebra, above and beyond the required 6th grade core. I was impressed he gave up his recess actually.
Then Sunday night rolled around. I asked him if he had homework and he mentioned his algebra packet. After showing it to me, I realized it was a week's worth of work to be done in one Sunday night. So I made him sit on my bed, while I tucked myself into my bed, and he got started.
We chatted about negatives and subtraction, order of operations, mathematical properties and other such regular algebra stuff. But the conversation was the most two way conversation I've had with Alex in a long time. He'd ask a question and point out his opinion. I'd encourage him in the parts he was correct and guide him to understanding the finer points of his problems. He'd listen and I'd watch as light bulbs ignited. As I got more tired, I made more mistakes, and he would argue for his answer even though I'd told him it was wrong. He would stand by his answer and make me recheck it and took confident delight when he was right and I was wrong.
In the end, we got most of the week's worth of problems done. But we also had a few hours of common language and shared interest and it was a moment that made the job of parenting the greatest job.
LOVE this story. So sweet.
ReplyDelete