Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sick Days

I've got a goal to blog more often.  But things are just so normal, there's nothing to say.  But this last week we got hit with colds.  Alex has stayed home three days in a row from school.  I thought he might be faking it because staying home alone to play on the computer all day is probably more fun than going to school.  I changed my mind when a friend called Alex to play and Alex told him he was sick and couldn't play.  I'm sorry he's still not feeling good, but I was happy to decide he's not faking it.

On a side note, I've been to the doctor three times in the last two weeks.  One doctor was my rheumatologist (Google assures me this is spelled correctly).  We've made several decisions.  One is I am going to stop my prednisone.  I was only on 2.5 mg, a really small dose.  But it's time to stop.  Next, my main drug, methotrexate, which holds my immune system down, is causing my liver enzymes to be elevated.  It's also cause folate anemia which is a lack of folic acid in my body causing my red blood cells to not carry as much oxygen as they are supposed to.  I already take the max dose of folic acid, so hopefully not taking the methotrexate will help.  I stopped taking it two weeks ago and I'll be tested in another week to see if it's helping.

In the mean time, I have to do another IVIG treatment.  The home nurse will come in two weeks to administer it at home.  After that is done, the doctor will put me on a new immune-suppressant.  I'm nervous about switching drugs because I've felt so much better once my drug routine became final.  Changing drugs can mess that delicate balance up so I'm slightly worried.

Anyway, back to the flu.  Lance caught it after Alex.  He's been up in the night throwing up and can't breathe.  He took a day off work.  I was asking him if he was going to work tomorrow, Monday, and he said he absolutely had to go to work.  Lance never goes to work when he's sick so I asked him what was different this time.  He said he was scheduled to meet with the First Presidency secretaries and he had to go. So if the Prophet can't go to General Conference because he has the flu, it'll be Lance's fault.  They are so tightly scheduled that Lance doesn't feel like he can cancel on all the high ranking secretaries.  So he's going all alone to his meeting where I told him not to shake anyone's hand.  Can you imagine if one of the Twelve runs across him and tries to shake his hand?  Could you shake it to be polite or withhold out of sanitary reasons?  Let's hope Lance doesn't find out.


No comments:

Post a Comment